Saturday, April 16, 2011

Munich!

Well, the Peace Corps vacation days are officially at an end. We had to use our 48 days of vacation by the end of April or lose them. Obviously I didn't let them go to waste!

I was able to spend about six days in Munich, Germany. This was my second time to Germany (the first time being Berlin in January) and I loved it just as much! And thankfully this time was snow/ice free. Although there was a run-in with some rain and hail. But just like in Berlin, that was not going to stop me! And neither were the stomach or nasty blister issues. So much so, I'm not even going to give you the details.

My friend Kali, who is originally from the village I live in now, has been living in Munich for nearly a year. She met me at the airport and whisked me off to downtown Munich. We walked and walked and enjoyed the beautiful weather. It was fantastic to spend some time with her on her days off of work!

Marienplatz

Kali and I at Marienplatz

First meal: Currywurst

View of the city from St. Peters Tower

OlympiaPark

This is my picture to prove I went to Nymphenburg Palace. I left after this picture because of hail and rain. I decided I've seen enough palaces in my time rather than be pelted by hail.

Beer and strudel at Hofbrauhaus

Entrance at Dachau Concentration Camp

I spent one of my days at Dachau. It was a powerful experience and one that I believe deserves its own post. I was traveling by myself that day and was thankful that I had the time to wander around by myself and think about the past horrors of that place. After the five hours I spent there, I went to a restaurant and wrote. Someday soon I'll post what I wrote in my journal that day. 

It was such a fabulous vacation and a great way to end my PC vacation days. No doubt I'll go back to Germany again... any suggestions for the next cities?!




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your reflections on Dachau may be a good jumping off point for some of the talks you will no doubt get to make when you return to the US of A.

The pictures are really great...but I sense that a certain jewel may have returned to a certain nostril...or is that a spec on your camera lens???

Lyndsey said...

Well, I was going to comment on your blog, but am distracted by your mother's comment. So now I don't know what to write.

Unknown said...

You're about six months late in noticing, Vic...